My mum gave me an old shirt that used to be my Gran's, as she thought I might like to do something with it. I really liked the fabric and some pretty embroidery that was on the button stand, but the style and fit were not great. The shoulders were massive on me and shoulders are tricky to alter!
So the shirt sat in a pile of other random bits of fabric for a few months until I decided I wanted to make some cushions for our bedroom. I remembered the shirt and cut a square out of the front and back, sewed around the edges and here's the result:
I used the existing button stand of the shirt as the opening for the cushion cover. This meant that I could make the embroidery a feature and I didn't have to put a zip in the cover. Which is good, because sometimes I'm lazy.